Monday, December 13, 2004

Hot Topics

No not that oh so trendy pseudo goth store in the mall, but Hot Topic Issues of the day.

First off we haveUp Armored HUMVEE’s
This is getting a lot of airplay since we had a soldier actually ask Donald H. Rumsfeld about the situation. Now we have people on the Left and the Right screaming that we need to make this top priority, as well as supporting their own agendas some, if they are really partisan.

“SEE, Bush and cronies don’t care about the soldier’s lives” screams some on the left

“SEE, Voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it boy?!?! You shoulda voted for it, and our boys would have their armored up Hummers!” screams some on the right

Both sides are missing the real point, as several more military taught people have mentioned, the HUMVEE is not an APC.
I will be the first to admit we are trying to flex current equipment into different roles, but even an up-armored HUMVEE will not survive a RPG hit or a standard land mine.
Now I am not advocating saving money here, I am just trying to say is if they need APCs, they should use some APCs, not HUMVEE “JEEPS”

See: Mad Ogre (No direct links to topics, scroll and look for Speaking of Military issues...)


Second Topic:
Kim brings up a British Psychologist’s suggestions to victims of crime.
Summary: “Cower like a little girl, just don’t wimper as it may incite the attacker to additional violence”
Kim’s attitude? Excerpts:
“For some reason, people expected me to have the typical RCOB moment, but I didn't … But most psychologists are girly-men, in the same way that most male hairdressers are gay, most diplomats are Democrats, and most Democrats are total fuckwits … I'm going to shoot the fucking goblin in the heart, at least twice, with a .45 pistol.”

GeekWithA.45 weighs in on this with some statistics from Gun Facts.
Quote:
---------------
Myth: You are more likely to be injured or killed using a
gun for self-defense

Fact: You are far more likely to survive a violent assault if you defend yourself with a
gun. In episodes where a robbery victim was injured, the injury/defense rates were:

Resisting with a gun 6%
Did nothing at all 25%
Resisted with a knife 40%
Non-violent resistance 45%
----------
Then in the comments at GeekWithA.45, Jake makes a profound statement.

Quote:
-------------
I think the first fallacy of the 'submit like a coward' school is that 'the money in your pocket isn't worth your life'.
On face value, this is true. Especially if your wallet is as empty as mine tends to be. :(
However, it misses the point that I'm not FIGHTING for my wallet (which, being empty, isn't worth fighting over).
I'm FIGHTING against the imposition of an 'ad hoc social contract' which allows any jerk with a broomstick to deprive me of my freedom and liberty (however briefly) in exchange for not hurting me.
I'm not fighting petty theft, I'm fighting EVIL.
And that IS worth my life.

Jake

(who sadly must fight evil with primitive weapons because Nanny doesn't like the competition)
-------------

I agree with the above opinions 99%.

Our soldiers need the absolute best equipment we can get them.
Retrofitting a tool to a secondary task is usually a Bad Thing.

Self Defense and the practice thereof is fundamental, if you do not practice Self Defense when given the opportunity, you are just waiting to pass away.
I am not saying you should ALWAYS stand your ground, foolishly throwing yourself into harms way to “Be a MAN”, but surrendering or fleeing should not be your FIRST reaction either.

1 Comments:

At November 29, 2005 at 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home