Sunday, November 14, 2004

Range Report

Headed out yesterday morning to test a Remington 572 Field master, 22lr pump rifle.
Went to DFW range, and they were booked up for over an hour, so we blew that off and started to head up to Bass Pro shops. Meanwhile John remembered seeing a outdoor range off Northwest Highway a while back, so we tried there first.

Elm Fork is where it was, and it was pretty neat, first time I been to an outdoor range, course only third time I been shooting since I was a boy. This range is definitely more hunter type place, signs talking about "NO MILITARY STYLE RIFLES" everywhere. Strange setup on the center fire rifle range as well, huge berm right in front of firing line and you shoot through a large tube in the dirt to get out to your targets.

We paid up agreed to the rules and headed for the rim fire range, not positive, but it was like 25 yards I would guess. I shot fairly well in my opinion, John who has shot a LOT more than I was slightly impressed. John tried the Marlin I had borrowed, but the owner had not sighted in the scope well, so he literally missed the paper the entire first round!

I shot:
22lr Pump, Model 572 Fieldmaster
http://www.remington.com/aboutus/history/m572.htm
The one I shot was dated 1975; I am considering its purchase for $150.
22lr Marlin Model 60SB
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfLoading22wTubularMag/60SB.htm
This gun had a scope mounted, was not mounted real good and had not been sighted.
We got it sighted in a bit, and it was real nice!
Star Firestar M-40, .40S&W
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg113-e.htm
Nice accuracy, slightly heavy.
Colt .45 Officer’s model
This 45 held 6 rounds in the magazine, ejected the spent cartridges straight up, you could hear they pinging off the tin roof overhead. Great Fun.
Makarov .380
This little pistol had a double stack and could hold 13 rounds, seems this is a rare configuration.
.357 Revolver
Don’t remember make or model, but it was an old police carry, we were shooting .38 wad cutters, sometimes mixing in spent cartridges to test flinch, man that’s an Eye Opener!
Ruger Mark II 22lr
An older one that did not lock back once the magazine was empty, but it fired exactly where you pointed it.

I decided it was getting time to go when I loaded the Colt and a 40sw cartridge, unfired slid out of the barrel. I had loaded the 40s in the 45 magazine, that rattled me a bit, in my opinion once you start making mistakes like that you need to pack up, and we did shortly thereafter.

Had loads of fun, and John said I was shooting excellently for someone that had just gone to the range three times, I guess I can take that as a compliment.

Still trying to decide on that Remington, can’t figure out if I really want it or not.

1 Comments:

At November 14, 2004 at 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home